Friday, September 30, 2011

Bad Pool Caller BSOD fix

Broken computer. My di came to me with his 4 year old HP dv9500 Vista laptop computer, which would not load to windows. The only recent change to the computer he knew of were the typical unending software update requests.

I took a look at his computer, and it was BSOD with BAD_POOL_CALLER STOP: C2 after it seems all hardware drivers are loaded. I always have "No GUI Boot" set, to see the diagnostic messages and drivers load during bootup.

Googled around for "Bad Pool", and the top hits suggested hardware failure, probably RAM. A few blamed registry corruption, with other posters denying it could be registry corruption, claiming registry cleaners were a scam at best, and would destroy your registry and computer along with it, at worse.

His computer was able to F8 boot in to Vista recovery mode.

I checked my RAM with the bios diagnostic and with Vista memory diagnostic. A whole lot of nothing. I ran quick HDD check from bios, still nothing. I tried recovering going back through update checkpoints for a couple of days. The most recent ones failed to roll back, with something like "file already created" error. Finally going back a week days succeed. But still same BSOD.

Finally I ran System Restore to go 5 days back. And Viola, the system starts as it should.

I don't know what caused the error. If it was a driver or registry type of problem as this BSOD code is blamed for, it suggests to me the OS was getting corrupted by software. I am just guessing the precise cause: perhaps it was a failed OS update that ended up corrupted; or anti-virus software mayham after an update -- I did notice the computer had 4 anti-virus anti-spyware running and updated. I got rid of Immunet. Kept PC Tools, MSE, Mcafee -- which seems to only scan on demand.

No comments:

Post a Comment